Why now: On January 26, the WA Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments on whether to uphold $500 million a year in funding for childcare and education with a capital gains tax on the super-rich. Now is the time to weigh in and show public support for making Washington’s tax system more fair.
Click on the link of your local news outlet to get started.
3. WHY the Supreme Court should uphold the capital gains tax on the super-rich.
4. SIGN it!
Don’t forget to sign your name. Some outlets also require the city where you live, email, phone, and your address.
SAMPLE LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Soon the Washington State Supreme Court will have the opportunity to help fix Washington’s upside-down tax code by upholding the capital gains tax on the super rich.
As a single mom in Enumclaw, it’s unfair that I pay a larger share in taxes than mega-millionaires and billionaires, most of whom live in urban areas like King County.
The capital gains tax on the super rich will only affect 0.2% of Washingtonians, approximately 8200 of the wealthiest people in the entire state. The rest of the 99.8% of us, especially single mothers like me, will benefit from the increased investments in childcare and education. I urge the Supreme Court to do the right thing and uphold the capital gains tax.
Janet Smith, 1649 Main Street, Enumclaw, WA